Thursday, May 26, 2016

Chicken Soup





Dear Neighbors,


As we haven't seen each other in a few days, and I just very recently thought of you, I figured I'd put together a nice note and drop it by. I may not have mentioned this yet, but you have a lovely house and garden. The cute little group of hens out in the garden really give it a homey pleasant touch.  I thought I ought to share with you that you have a big beautiful rooster in your possession.  Yes, I know.  Rather forward. I'm American. It's a cultural thing. Yes, we talk a lot. I am aware. No I don't dye my hair.  No, Trump doesn't either because his is not real.  I agree. Strange. And yes, he is a terrible racist. Awfully vocal too. The worst kind of woman chaser.  A little like your rooster.


I have to say that having a bedroom that borders on your garden is, for the most part, a lovely experience.  My room is never quite as warm as the rest of the house can get, and in a summer that's already particularly hot and dry, it's an added relief that I can get a little bit of wind to cool things down at night if I crack open the window. Early in the morning--and in fact late in the afternoon, and often in the middle of the night--I find it relaxing to be able to listen to the sounds of the local birds.


Have I mentioned how big, beautiful and vocal your rooster is?


I haven't yet had time to thank you for the lovely traditional chicken stew you served on Thursday at Nicholas' 33rd birthday party. It was delish. I've gotta admit, that although I've developed a taste for fried chicken feet, this was the first time anyone offered me a chicken head, beak and all.  My heart did skip a beat--when I first took a gander at the plate. Staring back at me was (I was sure) was that virile and cacophonous rooster of yours.  Moments later, however, I was relieved to discover that his ample windpipes continued to very effectively ferry air in and out.  He really is something special.


It was lovely to chat the other day while we were all outside with our buckets waiting for the fire department to bring us not-quite-enough-water-for-three-days-that-has-to-last-all-week on Tuesday.  I don’t think I mentioned how much I like your new haircut.  Super feminine.  I may have also failed to mention your vociferous rooster.  So much bigger than the one the neighbour behind us has.  He is quite the specimen. That large, boisterous rooster of yours. I’ve noticed that he is an early riser.  A late sleeper too.  Strepitus in his pursuit of the hens that are so often happily eating away in your garden, laying their eggs and living their quiet lives.  I almost don’t even know they are there--in fact, if it weren’t for blusturous rooster, I probably wouldn’t. He does such an excellent job of making sure we all know nothing has gotten into the garden to bother the chickens.


Anyway, to wrap things up, I’ll be here about another month.  But was thinking about throwing a little get together to say goodbye.  I thought I’d ask---if it wouldn’t be too much of a bother--if you could bring some of that delicious chicken soup of yours?


The gringa next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment